April showers bring May flowers. Time to start your seedlings if you haven’t already. But first you need to choose what kind of garden you want. Today we will be talking about herb gardening.
First question. Do you want herbs you can cook with and make tea or are you looking for the more medicinal ones that you can dry and make tinctures out of?
Second question. Do you want to grow the herbs in a pot or outside?
Third question. Do you have more access to sun or shade?
Well now that you have that figured out here are some suggestions for pretty easy to grow and helpful herbs.
- Fennel VPK= One of the best herbs for digestion. Leaves and seeds.
- Coriander VPK= Great for digestion and helping cool inflamed urinary track.
- Basil VK-P+(in excess) Considered one of the most holy plants in India. “ Basil absorbs positive ions, energizes negative ions and liberates ozone from the suns rays.” The Yoga of Herbs, Dr. David Frawley
- Lemon Balm PK-V= An uplifting pick me up in tea.
- Lemon Grass PK-V= Helps relieve kidney infections and gas. Popular in food.
- Caraway KV-P+ Used in bread to help with assimilation of starch. Helps relieve gas.
- Lavender PK-V= Takes two years to flower.
- Chamomile PK-V+(in excess) Good for digestion and helps promote menstruation.
- Echinacea PK-V+ Detoxifying and natural antibiotic takes roots years to mature for harvest.
Potted herbs can be taken inside easily and kept living all year round to be used fresh off the plant. Outdoor herbs can be harvested in larger amounts allowing left-overs to be dried and stored. If you are planting herbs from the mint family in your garden, and don’t want them to take over, keep them in a pot when you plant them in the ground. Mints do well in the shade and most herbs do best in partial shade.
Things to Remember
- Check to see if it is a direct sew plant? (put seed directly in ground)
- Make sure there is no more chance of frost before moving plants outside.
- Use natural bug repellents on plants such as Neem oil, or plant plants like geranium near by which will also repel bugs.