Have you ever craved salty after a longer work out or felt the need for something sweet at the end of a meal? Taste is very important for healing and staying balanced. When you have all six tastes during a meal it leaves you feeling satisfied. This recipe covers all the tastes and is a perfect summer meal or side.
Six Taste Salad
- Fill a bowl 2/3rds full with lettuce (romaine, red or green lettuce) (bitter)
- Sprinkle with cranberries (astringent)
- Add 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds, a great source of protein (sweet)
- Drizzle with Olive Oil, a good source of Omegas
- Dash of Vinegar(sour)
- Salt to taste (salty)
- Light sprinkle of black pepper (pungent)
Feel free to add or vary, but try to keep all the tastes. Vatas and Pittas may want to add Avocado or Blueberries. Kaphas may want to add some green peppers or radishes.
Calming the Doshas with Taste
Vata– Sweet (moistening affect)
Pitta– Bitter and Sweet (cooling and moistening affect)
Kapha– Bitter and Astringent (drying affect)
(The sweet taste I am talking about is not candy, but can be found in grains, fruit and protein) Enjoy!